The role of the School Counselor first and foremost, is to serve as an advocate in helping each individual student reach his or her full potential. School counselors are certified professionals specifically trained in counseling theory and clinical skills adapted to the school setting. Counseling services are available to all of our students. Referrals can be made by parents, teachers, administrative staff or students can refer themselves.
The Goals of the Cattaraugus Little Valley Middle School Counseling Program Are:
- To assist students with educational, personal, career, and goal planning.
- To develop personalized programs based on each students strength’s and needs.
- To help students understand themselves and others.
- To assist students in identifying and dealing with problems.
- To facilitate the identification of students with special needs.
- To provide crisis intervention when necessary.
- To coordinate referrals to school and community support services.
Some Reasons to Contact Your Child’s School Counselor Are:
- Academic skills support
- Career/Future planning
- School adjustment issues
- Coping, problem-solving, decision making concerns
- Organization, study and test-taking skills
- Peer relationships, and conflict resolution problems
- Divorce, separation and family changes
- Experiencing loss, death and grief
- Substance abuse awareness