ALGEBRA 2 (JCC MAT 1590)
The textbook for the course is Sullivan Precalculus: Concepts through Functions, by Sullivan/Sullivan (custom edition)
Students will learn algebra and trigonometry topics necessary to prepare them for the study of precalculus. Topics include one-to-one functions and their inverses and graphs, polynomial and rational functions and their applications, radicals and exponents, complex numbers, and trigonometric functions, including graphs and basic identities. Problem-solving and applications are emphasized. An approved graphing calculator is required.
Each student will be required to take the final exam designed by faculty at JCC.
Prerequisite: MAT 0600 or two years of high school algebra/geometry and placement exam.
4 Credit Hours
- Homework will be given every class. However, it is probable that the assignments will not be graded.
Homework completion is necessary for practice of concepts and preparing for assessments.
If an assignment is to be graded the students will be notified beforehand.
NO LATE HOMEWORK WILL BE ACCEPTED.
- If a student is absent from school, he/she is still responsible for getting any missed notes or handouts.
- If a student is absent from school, he/she may make up a missed quiz/test ONLY if the absence was coded as EXCUSED.
No makeup assessments will be given for unexcused absences.
- There will be up to 14 exams given, up to 14 quizzes given, a midterm exam, and a final exam.
- Occasionally extra credit will be available. This is completely at the teacher’s discretion.
- Daily required materials: book, pencil, pen, eraser, 3- ring binder (with looseleaf paper) and TInspire calculator.
No cell phone use is allowed at any time during class.
(A TI-nspire graphing calculator may be borrowed from CLV for the duration of the course. See Mrs. Haynes in person for more information)
GRADING SCALE (JCC equivalents)
A (90 – 100) C (70 – 76)
B+ (87 – 89) D+ (67 – 69)
B (80 – 86) D (60 – 66)
C+ (77 – 79) F LESS THAN 60
TESTS: 50% QUIZZES: 25% HOMEWORK: 25%