• CTLE Professional Development Requirements for Professional Certificate Holders

    Educators who hold one or more of the following certificates are subject to the continuing teacher and leader education (CTLE) requirement:

    • Professional certificate in the classroom teaching service
    • Professional certificate in the educational leadership service (i.e., School Building Leader, School District Leader, and School District Business Leader)
    • Teaching Assistant Level III certificate

    Examples of educators who do not need to complete the CTLE requirement include, but are not limited to, educators who:

    • Hold only Permanent certificate(s)
    • Hold a Statement of Continued Eligibility (SOCE) and Permanent certificate, and does not also hold a Professional or TA Level III certificate; and
    • Have "Registered - Inactive" status (e.g., not practicing in an applicable school).

    The registration and CTLE requirements do not apply to educators who hold a certificate in the pupil personnel service (e.g., School Attendance Teacher, School Counselor, School Psychologist, School Social Worker) or hold a Teaching Assistant Level I or Level II certificate.

    There is one CTLE requirement per educator (e.g., 100 clock hours), regardless of the number of certificates held that are subject to CTLE. Educators who are subject to CTLE and practice in an applicable school throughout their five-year registration period must complete 100 clock hours of acceptable CTLE.

    Many of the activities that were accepted as professional development may not be accepted as CTLE.  Mandated trainings such as DASA, CA, SAVE, and others are certification requirements and not considered CTLE.  Superintendent’s Days, Faculty, Department, Team, Grade Level, Conferences, and other activities considered part of the typical duties for educators, are not in and of themselves considered CTLE. 

    Should a specific CTLE activity be completed in any part of during a professional development day, faculty and/or district meeting, then a Certificate of Completion form will be issued for that activity under one of the following categories: Content, Pedagogy, and/or Language Acquisition for ELL. https://govt.westlaw.com/nycrr/Document/I0e225e610ac411e69decf8bace0b1424?viewType=FullText&originationContext=documenttoc&transitionType=CategoryPageItem&contextData=(sc.Default)&bhcp=1

    Information about CTLE is available through the following links:


    NYSED Suggest Record Keeping Form

    An example of the NYSED suggested record keeping form is available at http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/pdf/donotsubmit-ctlerecord.pdf

CTLE Resources & Links

  • CLV CTLE Professional Development Credit Request Online Form

    In order to receive a certification of completion of CTLE hours earned from attending a CLV District sponsored provider, please complete the online request form below: 

    LINK: CTLE Professional Development Certificate Request


    Comments (-1)
  • FAQ DOCUMENT: Confused about CTLE Professional Development Hours Credit? Read this FAQ to learn if this new requirement pertains to you and what it entails. 


    Comments (-1)